What to Expect When You Volunteer
Before, during, and after the study, we are here to answer any questions you have.
Before You Join a Clinical Study
- When you contact one of the participating research sites, they will tell you about the research we are doing. For some of the antibody studies, you will not need to reach out to a site because the study staff will come to the nursing home or assisted living facility.
- You may be asked personal questions before coming into the research site to help determine if the studies that are open are a good fit for you.
- We will give you and/or your legally authorized representative written information about the study, and you will have a detailed discussion with the study staff to assist in making an informed decision about whether you want to join the study or not.
- Most studies require coming into the research site for 10 or more visits over 1-2 years. In some of the antibody studies, the study staff will come to you via mobile transportation unit.
- If you decide to join, the study staff will determine if you are eligible to join. This can include things like asking about your medical history and doing a physical exam. Sometimes a blood sample will be drawn for necessary lab tests.
During the Study
- Most studies require coming into the research
site for 10 or more visits over 1-2 years.
- Every study involves getting injections or infusions. You might get the study product we are researching, or you might get a placebo (a liquid with no active ingredients).
- When you are enrolled in the study, we will ask you to keep track of how you feel for about a week following each infusion or shot. The study staff will also be in contact with you to ﬁnd out how you’re feeling during this time.
- Volunteers will not be exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus as part of the study. These are studies of preventive vaccines that we hope will keep people healthy.
- If you become infected with SARS-CoV-2 and become ill with COVID-19, the study staff will work with you to make sure you get the care that you need.
After the Study
- We may ask if we can contact you again for another study.
- When the study is complete, the results will be disseminated to all participants and their communities without any identifying information.
Interested in volunteering for a COVID-19 Prevention Clinical Study?
Selecting the button below will take you to the CoVPN Volunteer Screening Registry.